Foot pain is a common problem that affects many people, especially those who spend long periods of time standing or walking. Luckily, there are several stretches that you can do at work or at home to help relieve foot pain and improve overall foot health.
Stretches and Exercises
- Heel stretch: Heel stretches are a simple yet effective exercise that can be done to warm up the legs and feet. Using a strep that is elevated off the ground, stand on the edge of the step with the heel hanging off the ledge. Slowly lower your heel towards the ground; you should feel a stretch along the back of your leg. Hold this position for 15-30 seconds, then switch to the other leg. Repeat for a total of 3 sets.
- Calf raises: Calf raises are great for strengthening the lower legs, particularly the calves. This movement engages the calf muscles and can be done simply with your own body weight. Standing on the ledge of an elevated step, lift your heels off the ground while keeping your toes planted on the floor. Then, lower your heels until they are lower than the step. Repeat this exercise for 3 sets of 10 reps each.
These stretches and exercises can help to prevent foot pain and other conditions, such as plantar fasciitis. They only take a few minutes to do and require minimal equipment. If you have achy feet from prolonged standing, we highly recommend incorporating these movements into your daily routine.
What are the benefits of stretching?
Along with reducing foot pain and improving foot function, there are some added benefits to routinely stretching:
- Increasing foot and leg flexibility
- Reduces chances of injury
- Improving circulation in the lower body
- Improving balance and stability
Is there anything else I can do to soothe aching feet?
In addition to stretching, the following practices can also help to reduce foot and leg pain:
- Wearing comfortable shoes
- Doing a foot soak with warm water
- Reduce inflammation with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Using an ice pack for strains
Comment below with any questions or concerns you may have about foot pain and tired aching feet! Our team would love to hear from you. You can also reach us at docpods.com.au.